Embrace Summer Produce
Many people associate the summer months with family vacations, backyard barbecues, and lounging around the pool. But summer brings something else that is even more exciting—an abundance of fresh and delicious produce!
From juicy fruits like blueberries and peaches to crisp veggies like zucchini and bell peppers, summer is the perfect time to fill your plate with in-season produce. So what exactly is in season during the summer months? The list is endless, but here are a few of our favorites.
- Apricots: This early summer fruit grows in the Pacific Northwest and is often harvested from May to July.
- Blueberries: These juicy summer favorites can be found all over the United States from early June to early August.
- Blackberries: From June to October, blackberries are widely available. You can purchase them from your local farmers market or pick them yourself.
- Watermelon: This summer staple is harvested in tropical and temperate regions as early as May and as late as September.
- Peaches: These summer fruits thrive in climates that experience hot summers and can be harvested anywhere from May to October.
- Zucchini: While some regions may have it year-round, most of us will be able to savor freshly-harvested zucchini from June to August.
- Bell Peppers: These versatile vegetables have a long growing season that ends with harvesting in the later summer months, usually between July and September.
- Tomatoes: A must-have for barbecue season, fresh tomatoes are available as early as May and as late as October.
- Cucumber: These water-filled veggies can be found year-round, but they are at their peak between the months of May and August.
- Eggplant: This nutrient-rich veggie thrives in hot climates and is often harvested from July through October.
In the right climate, many herbs become seasonless and can be harvested year-round. However, the increase in sunshine and heat does wonders for a few specific herbs, such as:
Summer-Inspired Recipes to Try
Need some inspiration for new meals to try this summer? Let us help you out. Here are a few healthy, summer-inspired recipes to add to your meal plan.
Banana Zucchini Muffins
Why choose between banana bread and zucchini bread when you can have both? These bite-sized treats are perfect as an afternoon snack or healthy addition to your breakfast plate. Get the recipe here.
Summer Berry Salad
Bring the flavor of summer berries together with crisp greens to make a light and healthy lunch with this summer berry salad. Get the recipe here.
Lentil Stuffed Eggplant
This hearty, meatless recipe combines summer veggies like eggplant and tomato with lentils and greens for a satisfying summer meal. Get the recipe here.
Eating with the season is just another part of living the #NewEarthLife. So go ahead. Embrace the abundance of the season and give your body (and taste buds) a treat by adding in-produce to your plate this summer.