10 Surprising Facts About Your Brain
We’re sure you know how important your brain is. After all, it is at the center of literally everything we do. It controls all of our movements, thoughts, and emotions. Even though we know all of this, it can be easy to take our brains for granted, when in reality they should be celebrated for the brilliant and powerful organs they are.
So to celebrate this amazing organ, here are 10 surprising facts about the human brain.
- The average human brain weighs approximately 3 pounds. However, the heaviest human brain on record belonged to Russian writer Ivan Turgenev and weighed 4.43 pounds.
- The first 2 years of life are when your brain grows the most. In fact, in the first year, it triples in size, and by the time you are 2, it is already 80% fully grown.
- Your brain will continue to develop throughout most of your life, but it will eventually begin to shrink. But don’t worry because size doesn’t matter. There is no evidence a larger brain is more intelligent.
- The human brain contains about as many neurons as there are stars in the Milky Way, which is approximately 100 billion.
- It’s a myth that you only use 10% of your brain. In fact, even while sleeping you are using more than 10% of your brain.
- Your brain can keep things in short-term memory for about 20-30 seconds. Although, this length of time is shorter for things like numbers (7 seconds) and letters (9 seconds).
- It’s estimated that the average person has between 12,000 and 60,000 thoughts per day, and 95% of those thoughts are the exact same ones you had the day before.
- Your brain can move information around very quickly. In fact, it’s estimated that information moves through your brain at about 250 miles per hour.
- When it comes to memory, your brain has a huge storage capacity, approximately 2,500,000 gigabytes worth.
- Images are key to helping you remember things. In fact, images can help people retain up to 65% more information than they would have otherwise.
It goes without saying that your brain really is amazing and deserves the best care possible. But how do you take care of this brilliant organ? Here are a few tips.
- Get your sweat on. Regular exercise increases blood flow to the heart and brain, which ultimately will help slow cognitive decline. As an added bonus, exercise helps your body release endorphins to help improve your mood.
- Care for your heart. Your heart pumps blood to every area of your body, including your brain, which is important for your brain to function optimally. In fact, a healthy heart reduces the risk of cognitive decline as you age.
- Fuel up. There are a number of foods available that can help boost cognitive function. Some of our favorites include oranges, blackberries, nuts, and broccoli.
- Challenge yourself. Just like any muscle in your body, your brain needs to be challenged in order to grow. Reading, puzzles, games, and arts and crafts are all great ways to activate your brain.
- Nourish with Mind. With a rich nutritional profile that contains 13 vitamins, over 60 trace minerals, essential fatty acids, antioxidants, and more, the organic Wild Microalgae® found in Mind is the perfect way to ensure your brain gets all the nourishment it needs.
Your brain is an impressive organ that does a lot to help keep your body healthy and strong. That’s why taking care of it is an essential part of living the #NewEarthLife.