Healthy Halloween COVID Style
Crisp mornings, a gentle breeze, and colorful leaves falling from the trees. We are well into fall and headed straight toward the holiday season. The first festivity on the list: Halloween. While trick-or-treating and ‘typical’ Halloween gatherings may have been canceled this year, that doesn’t mean you can’t have a fun-filled, healthy Halloween COVID style. Here are four ideas to keep your 2020 Halloween both fun and, of course, healthy.
Embrace the Outdoors
Fall may be one of the most beautiful seasons there is. So why not take Halloween outside?
You can look for local community events at your favorite outdoor venues. Think parks, corn mazes, pumpkin patches, and so on. You may just find a local event that suits you.
Not into big gatherings? No problem. This year ‘egg hunts’ are for more than Easter. Dress up the kiddos, fill some Halloween themed plastic eggs with your favorite healthy treats, and go ahead and hide them. The kids will enjoy running around the yard in search of their Halloween treasures and you will enjoy some crisp fresh air all while incorporating movement in your day.
You can even take it up a notch and invite the neighbors, close friends, or family members over to join you for an outdoor Halloween egg hunt and potluck. After all, community and relationships are a crucial part of a healthy life.
Keep it Cozy Inside
Ready to escape the cold and cozy up this Halloween? No problem, we have ideas for you as well.
Enjoy a spooky movie night with the family. Let the kids dress up, pop some popcorn, whip up some healthy snacks, and enjoy some well-spent time with the family. Better yet, share your evening and costumes with extended family and friends by video chatting.
We all know that movies can only last so long, so add a little spice to the evening with a pumpkin decorating contest. The possibilities are virtually endless. You can use paint, glitter, paper, glue, or just go old fashion and carve. Make it a fun contest with a prize at the end. And, don’t forget to roast your pumpkin seeds for a delicious and nutritious snack.
Speaking of snacks. We have a few ideas you are sure to love.
Healthy Halloween Snacks and Treats
Whether you decide to embrace the indoors, outdoors, or both, you’ll likely be in need of some snacks. So, why not keep them healthy? After all, a whole food based diet helps support a healthy body and strong immune system. Here are a few you are sure to enjoy.
- Witchy Guacamole Dip. Who doesn’t love a platter of guacamole, veggies, and corn chips? Spice up the nutrient profile of this already great recipe by adding a little organic Wild Microalgae® to the guacamole!
- Pumpkin Fries and Spicy Ketchup . Who says fries only come from potatoes? Try these unique pumpkin fries and spicy ketchup for a new delicious snack.
- Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cups. The combination of peanut butter and chocolate is one that is loved by most. This recipe adds a dash of pumpkin and features dark chocolate!
- Spiced Cider. If you are headed outside it might be nice to have a nice warm drink in your hands. This slow cooker spiced cider will do the trick.
- Witches Broom Snack. Here’s a great one for the kiddos. Veggies and cheese in the shape of brooms!
No matter what you decide to do this Halloween, remember to have fun, be present, and enjoy making some new traditions for you and your family! It’s part of what we call living the #NewEarthLife!