October is winding down and Halloween is right around the corner which means one thing and one thing only…we are kicking off the holiday season! Starting with a sugar rush and candy overload and moving onto parties, gifts, and tasty temptations, its a season where balance and moderation are crucial for maintaining good health. Easier said than done though, especially when your child’s Halloween candy lingers in the house and your coworker treats the office with their famous pumpkin bread.
Fear not, we have tips and tricks up our sleeve to help you find the perfect balance this Halloween.
- Dinner first! Nourish those kiddos (and yourself) with a nutritious meal before heading out for some trick-or-treating. This will reduce the temptation to dive into the candy bag while out and about.
- Walk it out. Lucky for you, trick-or-treating is the perfect excuse to get some extra steps in. So enjoy burning those extra calories!
- Out of sight. When you get home get that candy out of sight. Let the kids pick out a handful of their favorite items and remove the rest. What you choose to do with the remainder of the candy is up to you.
- Keep it natural. Rather than participating in the fake food sugar rush, hand out natural treats with some nutritional value like honey sticks, real fruit gummies or fruit.
- Skip the sweets. You can turn to cool stickers, temporary tattoos, vampire teeth and more.
- Make it a family night. Skip the trick-or-treating altogether and take the family to a scary movie, corn maze or haunted house!
- Daytime nutrition. If you know you will be indulging in the evening ensure you get your nutrients during the day. Load up on your favorite fruits and veggies throughout the day.
- Bring a dish. Rather than providing the party with a sugary treat bring a dish that is both delicious and nutritious. From veggie Jack O’Lanterns to spooky fruit trays, the possibilities are virtually endless.
- Drink with caution. Yes, we know you might enjoy an adult beverage but watch out for those spooky hidden sugars if you do. Rather than using soda as a mixer opt for organic juice or soda water instead.
Whatever you do this Halloween, proceed with caution, watch out for those spooky hidden sugars, and ensure you nourish your body. We call this living the #NewEarthLife. Happy Halloween!